Ubuntu 2-Factor Authentication Set up is the only recommended way to add an extra layer of security and protection to the Ubuntu account online. There are over millions of people using Ubuntu, and their only complaint is that hackers come online to access their accounts. Enable two-factor authentication from this guide so as to secure and add an extra layer of protection to the Ubuntu account.
Multi-factor authentication is a feature of confirming one identity with the use of two different ways of authentication. The best and easiest way to implement an example of two-factor authentication is using a combination of both passphrase and one-time-passcode created or generated by a mobile app. Google Authenticator will make the configuration of two-factor authentication very easy, just like libpam-oath.
In case you are using Ubuntu 18.04 VPS or Dedicated Server, please learn how your account will be highly covered online. For any unauthorized attempt made on your account with another device, two-factor authentication stops or hinders it from taking place. Also, there are some stages one needs to pass or things which you need in order to enable two-factor authentication on Ubuntu.
We are meant to know the best and easiest way to enable 2FA authentication is through the use of the Google Authenticator app. This is for those available on good mobile phones. Google Authenticator app allows and gives you room to get a passcode that you should put on Ubuntu 18.04 with your username and password to show identity.
Ubuntu is a Linux distribution platform. It’s based on Debian always composed of free including open-source software. We are meant to know Ubuntu is released in three different editions Desktop, Server, and Core for both internets things devices via robots. The good thing about these three different editions, it can run on the computer, or even in a virtual machine. Ubuntu is a popular and nice operating system for anything like cloud computing, in addition to supporting OpenStack.
Here are the Benefits of Two Factor Authentication on Ubuntu
- Simplifying user experience
- Fraud defense
- Identity authentication
- Cost-effective security
- Easy integration
Necessarily Things You Need to Enable 2FA on Ubuntu
- A computer which is running or having Ubuntu 16.04 LTS
- Also, a mobile phone running or using Android or iOS
- Configured SSH connection
- Try to comprehend the danger of stolen passwords.
- Know you don’t need to know two-factor authentication is and also how it works.
How to Install Google Authenticator on Ubuntu
- Install and Configure Google Authenticator on Ubuntu 18.04, 18.10 Server.
- Log into OR access your Ubuntu server and start to run the following guide to install Google Authenticator from the default package. You can now run the google–authenticator command or service to enact a new secret key or way into the home directory.
How to Setup Two Factor Authentication on Ubuntu 18.04 VPS Dedicated Server
- Login to your Ubuntu 18.04 Server.
- Download and Install Google PAM.
- Generate and create TOTP for a user.
- Setup PAM On SSH.
- Test the configuration.
Am sure when you follow up this guide and step, no one will be able to access or log in to the Ubuntu account will be someone with your password or security token. For more information on this go to https://ubuntu.com/tutorials/configure-ssh-2fa#1-overview
For any comments or questions, use an empty box down for a quick reply from us. Thanks!